English English everywhere but not a word to Speak

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

You may Say it as a feature of India or Just as a dedication to need
whatever it is, it is very interesting to note in Delhi that every
body feels proud to speak English But becomes very happy to see a
foreigner speaking in Hindi. Even myself!!
Since my School was located near a world heritage site Humayuns Tomb
and I returned home from School daily crossing Humayun tomb's park, it
has been to my observation that foreign tourists are so clever and
crooks that whenever they see an Indian they Say 'namaste' Joining
hands together, no matter you looks to be a Sikh, a Muslim or a
Hindu. Anyone you are ,they takes you Just as an Indian. This is as it
should be. But I say them clever and crook Just because they not do so
because they love India or Indian culture but because they want to
Show themselves off as very kind, noble and respecting person.
The other thing that I noticed in my Delhi is that people are
generally not proud to speak Hindi. I observed it once while I was
sitting in a Park, two women were jogging (Both Indian) I heard them
talking in Hindi as they were far from me and as long as they thought
I was not listening, But as they came nearer Both of them switched to
English. You may think why? It is because speaking in English is
thought to be a medium to show high status. And Since I am a poor
Muslim guy (Very poor, financially) those rich women thought to show
me their 'status' by switching to English. Just then I took off my
poor looking cell phone and Started in English "...ya , that doesn't
matter my Mercedes is Sufficient....no..no...I'll be out in party
tonight and my driver has gone sick..bt I am there...."
Hearing this both women Stared back at me as they were hunted by their
own Shells!...and I? I just could not Stop laughing at heart and it
whispered "English English everywhere but not a word to Speak!" .Only
in Delhi.!
Yours,
Tariq Abdullah

6 comments

  1. really, this happens Only in delhi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is same here in saudi too!...so not only in delhi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 01, 2010

    and you say yourself a poor guy, n u own a mercedes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 01, 2010

    amazing..........keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if those women u mentioned herein, would have been really 'high' in status, then the would never have liked to show it off!, so i think, it is middle class. right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. abe sahi likha, mast yar mast!! , ye angrez ki aulad 'high status' wale aise hi sudhrenge... keep it up n best of luck.

    ReplyDelete