How to make a Social networking site like facebook

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

writing something informative this time I thought to share with you 'how to make a social networking website like orkut or facebook' .I too myself wondered what goes on When we login to a website and what is the mechanism behind the scenes. I didn't even knew sometimes ago that there is a tough programming behind each of these easy clicks we do. But my quest ended up and I learnt what is behind the Scenes and So I though to share it with you to pass this Summer. I'll be writing in parts with full coding and examples to illustrate the concept. So starting in the name of Allah the most gracious the most merciful, let. Me Introduce you to what is needed to know and upto what level for you to make a Social networking site yourself. In this Social networking Site making tutorial I shall be teaching you basics of following topics of Scripting. You need to learn following for your goal HTML,CSS full SQL Average PHP/Asp Average XML "" JavaScript "" And then you should be having basic understanding Of network , website, Server, DNS and a little ftp Client usage If you dont have already, then dont fear I'll teach you all.

expenses Before we proceed We must See What it costs to get our own Social networking Site. If you are Just a hobbyist like me and you Just want to create a small School or college social networking Site then it may Cost nothing to get your own facebooK!! but if you are a money machine then it may create a big hole in your pocket. You know I am a student So i would go with other side i.e. I will teach you Just how to make you facebook that is not commercial like that for a school. So we are going to name our project and Site as BOLO. You may interpret any fullform you want because Bolo means 'speak' . Just as my name is TARIQ ABDULLAH and i have got an interesting full form of my first name . TARIQ means 'shining Star' and my fullform is "Technology Access Research and Idea Quotient" !! :) For our Site first of all we will have to get a domain name (i.e. The website address where our Social networking Site will be accessible ) this will cost you around 500 Rupees or around $12. So you got your domain name, now you need a website host i.e. The server you domain name will point to, and Where your site pages will be stored. But before Choosing a good host, check that they provide you Atleast one database, and Mysql and php is Installed on Server. This will Cost you around 1000 rupees or $25. But you would be wondering why you have to Spend when I just Said it would cost nothing if you are a hobbiest. So there is a free option too, I had been browsing Internet Since I was Just 11 years Old, and now l am 17. In the beginning i made my personal website using free Subdomains But since now i am 17, I have to be Smarter so I must tell you a trick to get a full domain name and hosting for free (Infact it is not a trick,I call it trick because i found it myself :) ) get ready and gear up. Because it is the first Step toward making our own Social networking site. To get a full free domain name open www.dot.tk in your browser and goto email option ,and Signup there. Since basically it is a url Shortener Site and it offers Custom domain to registered users only and one has to pay for domain-specific registration. But E-mail sign up is free , So register in email option there and After signup login to your account and click on 'add a domain'. Choose a domain name and if it is available you will have to specify What do you want to do with that domain name, choose third option and Set the dns's to dns1.freehostia. com and Other to dns2.freehostia. com after you have done go to freehostia. com and Sign up there Selecting free plan (chocolate plan, as they Call it) enter the same domain name as you registered on dot .tk and after Successful attempt, cheers!! You have Completed First step toward making a Social networking website. For those fellows who want .com domain they can get it with any good registrar like godaddy in US and net4 in India . After this, Change the 'A record' of your domain to your host nameserver and you are too finished. next we have to code our site, setup a sql database which i'll teach you in next part later.....till then keep planning the features of your site and inform me so that I could post code of best among them.....and yes, don't forget to pray for a good result in my class XII th exams. Bye, May allah keep us all in peace. Mail me at tariqabdullah1[at]gmail. com

2 comments

  1. i have two questions,
    first, why free hostia offers free hosting?
    second, why have u used '[at]' instead of '@' in ur mail addr.
    i m totally new in this field, so hope u dont mind if my question is foolish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for a late reply,
    it offers free hosting bcoz there is a bandwidth transfer limit, u have to pay once u reach the limit.
    email addr is written such to avoid email from email address crawlers used by spammers.
    thank u for a response.

    ReplyDelete